Re: [suse-kde] Latest KDE disables graphical login as root?
  • From: Ingo Strauch <brack@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2005 22:28:28 +0200
On Wed, 10 Aug 2005 21:52:04 +0200
Paul Foerster <paul.foerster@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> Nothing personal here, but it's people like you, who do not know or
> understand why logging into KDE as root has serious security
> implications who definitely need it disabled! People who don't need
> it disabled won't login as root anyway.

It's just a guess but I think the people who move from Windows to Linux
because of the security problems with worms, dialers, spyware etc. (and
I've seen several state this as their reason) will get into the same
problems if they don't change their ways of operating the PC. It's not
directed at the original poster, more a general comment.

Linux (any Unix like system for that matter) makes it very easy to NOT
run the entire session as administrator. To NOT have dozens of services
listening to all present net devices. To NOT be as vulnerable as
possible when using the default configuration of your browser/mailer. If
you just switch over but then work as root all the time, don't disable
the services you don't need, don't install security patches and disable
any security settings of the programs you use regularly in order to keep
your "windows habits", you didn't gain anything in my opinion. And even
if it might be hard to work as normal user under Windows or to disable
all that services that listen for incoming connections, this doesn't
mean that it has to be hard doing this on linux. In fact it's easy, you
only need to find out how to do it once. And it's pretty comfortable as
well.

Cheers,
Ingo

--
Ingo Strauch ---- Registered Linux User #227900 (http://counter.li.org/)
GPG Key Fingerprint = DEC8 1B12 9573 6BE7 7A99 C33F 809C 8C2C 772E 66A1