Re: [suse-kde] Latest KDE disables graphical login as root?
  • From: Paul Foerster <paul.foerster@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2005 22:35:56 +0200
Hi Ingo,

It's just a guess but I think the people who move from Windows to Linux
because of the security problems with worms, dialers, spyware etc. (and
I've seen several state this as their reason) will get into the same
problems if they don't change their ways of operating the PC. It's not
directed at the original poster, more a general comment.

Linux (any Unix like system for that matter) makes it very easy to NOT
run the entire session as administrator. To NOT have dozens of services
listening to all present net devices. To NOT be as vulnerable as
possible when using the default configuration of your browser/ mailer. If
you just switch over but then work as root all the time, don't disable
the services you don't need, don't install security patches and disable
any security settings of the programs you use regularly in order to keep
your "windows habits", you didn't gain anything in my opinion. And even
if it might be hard to work as normal user under Windows or to disable
all that services that listen for incoming connections, this doesn't
mean that it has to be hard doing this on linux. In fact it's easy, you
only need to find out how to do it once. And it's pretty comfortable as
well

... I hate full quotes and me2s, but this one is a very good exception. I absolutely second that!
--
cul8er

Paul
paul.foerster@xxxxxxx