Re: [suse-kde] *newbie* How to install HOME in separate partition?
  • From: Alvin Beach <abeach@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2005 20:44:31 -0300
On April 11, 2005 08:37 pm, Andy Yankovich wrote:
> On Monday 11 April 2005 18:47, Alvin Beach wrote:
> > If you really want your home directory as it's own partition, all
> > you do is during the install:
> >
> > 1. When asked what partition to install to, create a partition root
> > (/) as wel as a partitiong for (/home). If I remember correctly,
> > the mount points are in drop down list.
> > 2. Do not format the /home partition. Tell the installer to use it
> > as is. I think it's a checkbox option on the same screen?
> >
> > The install program will create the necessary entry in /etc/fstab
> > so your /home partition will be mounted during bootup.
> >
> > Alvin
>
> Thank you, Alvin, for replying.
>
> I understand your explanation of what to do and how, but I don't
> understnad *why* I should not format the /home partition.
>
> Could you please tell me why I shouldn't format the /home partition?
> I'm trying to learn.
>
> Thanks again,
> Andy

I may have confused things. The first time you make a /home partition you want
to format it and install 9.2 as normal. Then you can copy the files from your
CD backup to the /home directory.

Then when 9.3 arrives, you install it and do those two steps I mentioned
earlier. When installing 9.3 you do not want to format the /home partition
otherwise you will loose the information and settings that are there. At this
point the backup on CD should just be kept up-to-date as a precaution with
the hopes of never needing it.

So, basically, you want to format the /home partition only once. Then just
tell the SuSE installer that the /home partition already exists. If I
remember correctly, the SuSE installer might be able to figure that out
automagically, but I'm not sure.

--
Please reply to the list only.

< Previous Next >