Re: [suse-kde] KDE 3.4 files 9.2 - Why multiple kdmrc files?
  • From: BandiPat <penguin0601@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 20 Mar 2005 14:06:57 -0500
On Sunday 20 March 2005 09:13 am, Mathias Homann wrote:
> Am Sonntag, 20. März 2005 08:27 schrieb Richard Bos:
> > Op zondag 20 maart 2005 02:43, schreef Michael Nelson:
> > > One thing I've never understood (there are many, but this is just
> > > one of them).... why are there multiple kdmrc files on my 9.2
> > > system, and which one gets used by kdm?
> >
> > use:
> > locate kdmrc | xargs ls -ltr
> >
> > The latest is most likely used by you.
>
> not necessarily so.
>
> /opt/kde3/share/config/kdm/kdmrc is the one used by kdm
> /etc/opt/kde3/share/config/kdm/kdmrc is the one generated by
> SuSEconfig. so the first one should be nothing but a link pointing to
> the second one.
>
> bye,
> MH
==========

Actually, you can eliminate the /etc/opt/kde3/share/config/kdm/ files
and I think you'll find it works better without them. I found just
this morning that moving those files to a temp directory and
regenerating new ones in /opt/kde3/share/config/kdm worked the best. I
just created a temp directory , in case I needed to bring them back or
compare later, in both locations, running /opt/kde3/bin/genkdmconf
cleared some things up for me. I have not seen any files reappear in
the /etc/opt/kde3/share/config/kdm directory yet, except for the
backgroundrc file, if you change that within the control center. It
seems that only the /opt/kde3/share/config/kdm directory settings are
used now.

regards,
Lee

--
--- KMail v1.8 --- SuSE Linux Pro v9.2 ---
Registered Linux User #225206

< Previous Next >