help!! kde login fails after changing login manager in KControl
  • From: Christopher Townson <christopher.townson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2004 10:44:26 +0100
Hi -
I seem to be having a bit of a problem with X in KDE3.2 - I know absolutely
nothing about X, so if anyone can help I would really appreciate it. The
problem is as follows:

- I did a clean install and update of SuSE 9.1 with no problems, everything
goes beautifully until...
- I attempt to change the login settings via KControl -> Login Manager.

Once I change the login settings, when I first logout I get a black screen
with just the "X" cursor (i.e. no login screen) and I cannot move to any
other tty - I therefore have to force a restart by pressing the reset button
on my PC.

When the computer reboots, it shows the KDE login screen and I login, but KDE
fails to start and it goes straight to an X console instead -- from there I
can start KDE by typing "kde", but I get a mess of error messages when I do.

This is the output on starting kde from the console after login:

xset: bad font path element (#64), possible causes are:
Directory does not exist or has wrong permissions
Directory missing fonts.dir
Incorrect font server address or syntax
xset: bad font path element (#64), possible causes are:
Directory does not exist or has wrong permissions
Directory missing fonts.dir
Incorrect font server address or syntax
xset: bad font path element (#64), possible causes are:
Directory does not exist or has wrong permissions
Directory missing fonts.dir
Incorrect font server address or syntax
xset: bad font path element (#64), possible causes are:
Directory does not exist or has wrong permissions
Directory missing fonts.dir
Incorrect font server address or syntax
ksplash: WARNING: KGenericFactory: instance requested but no instance name
passed to the constructor!
kbuildsycoca running...
ALSA lib pcm_hw.c:494:(snd_pcm_hw_start) SNDRV_PCM_IOCTL_START failed: Broken
pipe
ALSA lib pcm_hw.c:494:(snd_pcm_hw_start) SNDRV_PCM_IOCTL_START failed: Broken
pipe
ALSA lib pcm_hw.c:494:(snd_pcm_hw_start) SNDRV_PCM_IOCTL_START failed: Broken
pipe
MNG error 1029: Chunk out of sequence; chunk TERM; subcode 0:0
MNG error 1029: Chunk out of sequence; chunk TERM; subcode 0:0
MNG error 1029: Chunk out of sequence; chunk TERM; subcode 0:0
MNG error 1029: Chunk out of sequence; chunk TERM; subcode 0:0
MNG error 1029: Chunk out of sequence; chunk TERM; subcode 0:0
MNG error 1029: Chunk out of sequence; chunk TERM; subcode 0:0
MNG error 1029: Chunk out of sequence; chunk TERM; subcode 0:0
kdecore (KLibLoader): WARNING: KLibrary: /usr/lib/libcrypto.so.0.9.7:
undefined symbol: PKCS7_content_free
kdecore (KLibLoader): WARNING: KLibrary: /usr/lib/libcrypto.so.0.9.7:
undefined symbol: OpenSSL_add_all_algorithms
kdecore (KLibLoader): WARNING: KLibrary: /usr/lib/libcrypto.so.0.9.7:
undefined symbol: OpenSSL_add_all_algorithms_conf
kdecore (KLibLoader): WARNING: KLibrary: /usr/lib/libcrypto.so.0.9.7:
undefined symbol: OpenSSL_add_all_algorithms_noconf
[...]
QGArray::find: Index 0 out of range
MNG error 1029: Chunk out of sequence; chunk TERM; subcode 0:0
MNG error 1029: Chunk out of sequence; chunk TERM; subcode 0:0
MNG error 1029: Chunk out of sequence; chunk TERM; subcode 0:0
MNG error 1029: Chunk out of sequence; chunk TERM; subcode 0:0

So far I have attempted the following to fix the problem:
a) create a new user to see if the problem recreates itself in their settings
(yes, it does)
b) remove .X* and .x* files from ~/ to backup directory - no success
c) check existence and permissions of ~/.fonts, fonts.dir etc... -- they
appear to be ok
d) reinstall X (getting desperate here!!) -- no luck there, either
e) force reconfiguration of fonts as root with "font-config --force" -- did
not work.

If anyone can shed any light on why I can no longer log into KDE directly, I
would be extremely grateful! I googled the problem, and it seems that quite a
few people have experiences something similar when they have attempted to
alter their login settings via kcontrol's login manager -- however, I
couldn't find any satisfactory solutions.

Thanks in advance,

Chris

  • No further messages