Re: [suse-kde] openoffice problem with kde3.3
  • From: Dave O'Reilly <dave.oreilly@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2004 10:08:59 +1200
Hi there guys,

I didn't mean to start any fights or anything, but just so you know, I was
actually asking about YOU in my original email.

However, the purpose of my email was to find out the best way to determine
when new versions of the KDE3.3 rpms are added to the supplementary source
directory and to perform the upgrade to these new versions.

All suggestions are greatly appreciated, whether they use suse package
management tools or not.

thanks,
daveor

On Friday 27 August 2004 09:57, Anders Johansson wrote:
> On Thursday 26 August 2004 23:50, Randall R Schulz wrote:
> > Anders,

> > > online update won't look at your supplementary sources
> >
> > He asked about YaST Install and Remove, not YOU.
>
> I'm sorry, I guess I was fooled by his use of the words "will YAST online
> update realise....."
>
> > > Use something saner, like red carpet or apt instead of yast to update
> > > your kde. It's just much easier.
> >
> > You keep suggesting the great superiority of red carpet or apt, but you
> > never say why. I've seen some indications of problems from people who've
> > gone the apt route. In general, I need some pretty compelling reasons to
> > abandon the software configuration management supplied by the vendor of
> > the distribution I'm using. And I have concerns about how well such
> > alternatives would integrate with other system software. After all,
> > installation support and configuration management are a good bit of the
> > value added by a commercial distribution.
> >
> > If I was a hardcore do-it-yourselfer (as regards my Linux installation,
> > specifically), then I'd build everything myself and ignore the
> > distributions, but that's not how I want to spend my time...
>
> Tell you what: install it on a hobby machine and give it a spin, then get
> back to me. Red Carpet is three rpms, no configuration needed. Just give it
> a try

< Previous Next >