Window-Specific Settings Carried Forward From KDE 3.2
  • From: Randall R Schulz <rschulz@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 29 Aug 2004 15:24:49 -0700
Hi,

I've found that KDE 3.3's attempt to carry forward saved window settings
from an earlier KDE is inadequate in many cases.

I was in the habit of using the old Save Window Settings (form the window
manager menu's Advanced sub-menu--I don't know if I have the name exactly
right, and of course, I cannot check on what it was, having upgraded to
KDE 3.3). Thus I had quite a few of these settings. Fortunately, in the
Control Center the settings that were carried forward to KDE 3.3 are all
flagged with the string " (KDE3.2)" so they're easy to identify and
either fix or discard and re-create.

For example, in working with the problems getting OpenOffice.org to launch
via the wrapper script in /usr/X11R6/bin, OOo-wrapper, I found that the
application window was being confined to the size of the OpenOffice.org
splash window! Eradicating the carry-over Window-Specific settings from
the Control Center freed OOo from this left-over and allowed me to
re-create new settings that reflected the variety of windows in
OpenOffice.org.

Randall Schulz

  • No further messages