Mailinglist Archive: opensuse-kde (348 mails)
|< Previous||Next >|
Re: [suse-kde] KDE 3.2
- From: Craig Ambrose <craig@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
- Date: Sat, 7 Feb 2004 12:01:53 +1100
- Message-id: <200402071201.53745.craig@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
I don't know much about what particular problems happened with Paul's
installation, but here's a listing of what I did, and on what sort of system,
in the help that it will increase the chances of having a successfull KDE3.2
install. This is fairly long, so don't bother reading on if you're not
Firstly, I got all the RPM's I needed. I went here on the web:
And selected my version of SuSE. I'm running a pretty fresh version of SuSE
9.0, only installed this week. I've done all the online updates, and
installed a few extra programs via YaST, but that's it.
The website then points you at various directories on the ftp server. I went
and downloaded all the rpm's from:
"KDE Base Packages":
No doubt there are mirrors, but I didn't find any Australian ones and the
download took almost 24 hours, despite ADSL crawling along at around 5Kb/s.
Obviously I didn't need everything in the applications directory, but I
noticed that there were a lot of almost core KDE packages there
(kdemultimedia, kdepim) and a few snazzy apps I hadn't heard of, so I decided
to get them all.
When I had all the rpm's downloaded, I copies them all into a single directory
on my hard drive, and tried (from within that directory).
rpm -Uvh --test *.rpm
The U is for upgrade of course, v and h are just for pretty output formatting.
The --test ensures that nothing actually happens, this is just a trial run.
The result was about 20 missing dependencies. So with that in mind, I opened
the YaST software installer and starting searching for those packages. It's
easier to check the box that says "provides" so that your package search also
checks against what the package provides. In most cases, I simply found the
packages I needed, and selected them for installation. In some cases, upon
finding out what sort of software I was installing, I decided that I didn't
need to install that particular kde application, so I removed it from my
The end result. All dependencies were satisfied, except for kdebase-SUSE
conflicting with kdebase. I'll clarify here, that I didn't use any packages
from outside of the SuSE 9.0 distribution except for those that I downloaded
initially from the SuSE server. I think that doing so would be unwise.
I then logged out of KDE (just back to kdm), switched to a different virtual
console (eg: CTRL-ALT-F3) and logged in as root. Then I removed the
rpm -ev kdebase-SUSE
(I'm not sure I've got that package name right here, but you'll see what it
A of conflicts popped up, for kde help packages, so I had to remove them too.
Then, the big install.
rpm -Uvh *.rpm
No dependencies failed, but after preparing the installation I did get some
errors that more than one package was trying to install the same file. These
files looked like icons, and desktop links, and a few other things, and so I
decided to take the plunge and do it anyway. To get rpm to push on despite
the error, I used:
rpm -Uvh --replacefiles *.rpm
No other errors. Everything worked fine there. Then, don't forget to run
After that, switch back to terminal 7, and login. Everything is new, shiny and
sexy. The only slight downsides were things I mentioned in my previous post.
I hope that helps others reproduce my good experiences. I guess that if you
are at all concerned about it, just wait for SuSE to incorporate it
|< Previous||Next >|