X and kdm problem at startup
  • From: Dominik Klein <Dominik.Klein@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 08 Feb 2004 21:27:20 +0100
When i start my SuSE 9, it does not boot into X any more.
It boots text only.

When i login as root, kdm is running, X is not running. When i do
$> kill `pgrep kdm`
$> kdm
kdm and X start up and everything is fine.

When i login as user and do "startx" X starts up, as it should, but no kdm, ok.

I checked a couple of things already:
default runlevel is 5
there is an rc script for kdm(it is called xdm but as far as i see it starts kdm) in rc5.d
service kdm gets started and it says "done" at boot time
X and kde are configured correctly - they run if i start them manually.

I tried to just add another rc script in rc5.d
It just does
$> kill `pgrep kdm`
$> /opt/kde3/bin/kdm
but the only thing that comes up is an echoed "terminated".

Thx in advance!
Dominik

  • No further messages