freetype2 version conflict
  • From: Mario Streiber <mario.streiber@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2004 09:53:05 +0100
Hi all,

I just upgraded to KDE 3.2, and since then I have a problem with
freetype2.

My configuration:
SuSE 8.1
XFree86-4.3.0-17 (8.1 update from
freetype2-2.1.3-36 ftp.suse.com)

Since the KDE upgrade I get a message window at KDE startup (before the
splash screen appears) which says something like "kdeinit failed", and
XFree86.0.log contains the following lines:

kdeinit: relocation error: /usr/lib/qt3/lib/libqt-mt.so.3: undefined
symbol: FT_Seek_Stream
startkde: Could not start kdeinit. Check your installation.

KDE comes up normally as it seems, and I didn't observe any problems up
to now (besides the message itself).

I found some hits in google with the same problem but other kde/freetype
versions, but no real solution, besides updating SuSE Linux which I
don't really want to do.

With freetype2-2.0.9-84.i586.rpm (original version from SuSE 8.1) the
kdeinit problem is gone, but then I face Xserver crashs on certain font
related actions, e.g. when selecting fonts in kde, opera etc., or just
running xfd -fn <any font>. So using freetype2-2.1.3-36 is the lesser
of two evils.

Is there anything I can do about it? Can I safely ignore this message?

Regards
Mario