Re: [SLE] Re: [suse-security] root login disabled for KDM - SOLVED
  • From: Bob Pearson <gottadoit@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 1 Oct 2003 08:38:58 -0400
On Wednesday 01 October 2003 7:57 am, Joe Morris (NTM) wrote:
> >I have remote login and shutdown disabled via "Control Center->System
> >Administration->Login Manager". System UID set to Below 0 and Above
> > 65000. "unhidden with every hidden but root (before I had Below 500 and
> > had "Selected only" which included "root").
>
> Check to make sure /opt/kde3/share/config/kdm/kdmrc is a symlink to
> /etc/opt/kde3/share/config/kdm/kdmrc. The control Center edits the
> /etc/...file, but kdm reads the opt...file, so these need to be the
> same. Often, an update will mv the symlink and install a default kdmrc
> in the opt... replacing the one you see in CC. Check it out.

Thanks. This was half the solution. It was NOT a symlink. Thanks also to
Manfred Hollstein who wrote:
Make sure to set the following in /etc/opt/kde3/share/config/kdm/kdmrc
in section [X-*-Core]:

AllowRootLogin=true
I had multiple (well, two) [X-*-Core] sections but only the last mattered.
Setting AllowRootLogin=true and making the symlink fixed the problem.

Thanks to all.

Regards,
Bob Pearson

< Previous Next >