Re: [suse-kde] howto show assigned irq's
  • From: SuSEnixER <WideGlide@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 20 Jul 2002 19:23:11 -0500
* Patrick <penguin0601@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> [07-20-02 18:22]:
> On Saturday 20 July 2002 09:07, SuSEnixER wrote:
> > I believe I have a conflict between my nic and sound card. I get
> > distortion when I play mp3 files. The sound card and nic are sharing
> > irq 5. I believe I can change the irq assigned to the pci slot that
> > either card is in, but I don't know if this is advisible and/or which
> > to change and to what irq.
> >
> > Any help will be appreciated.
> ====================
> Patrick,
> hmmm, feel like I am talking to myself. ;o)
>
> Have you tried moving the nic card to a different slot? That might
> change it. I do know that it is not advisable to put the sound card in
> the first PCI slot next to the AGP slot as this will inhibit the sound
> card functions and cause problems you described. In looking at my
> IRQs, I find that my nic and sound card share the same one also, but I
> don't experience the problems on mine. In other words, the nic is
> unlikely to cause problems, but the agp/video might.
>
> Just some thoughts.

I moved the sound card and then the nic left (I didn't move it) to irq 9,
sharing with my scsi card (aic7xxx). The sound card stayed on irq 5.

But this didn't solve my distortion. I now believe it may be because I
have a voltage drop between my box/chassis and the cable ground. Don't
know where to go there, I may run a common from the chassis to the wrap
on the cable. Open for suggestions <please> ...

c u
--
Patrick Shanahan
Registered Linux User #207535