Mailinglist Archive: opensuse-invis (21 mails)

< Previous Next >
Re: [opensuse-invis] Invis Server Packages
  • From: Klaas Freitag <freitag@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 8 Dec 2010 10:04:50 +0100
Hi,

At the Conference i talked to Jürgen Weigert about this problem. That's
what he told me about afio (Sorry it's in german):

"Hi Stefan!

Ich habs mal eben nachgeschlagen. Afio wurde aus rein technischen Gründen
von der Distribution genommen. Die rechtliche Seite ginge klar.

14.03.05, denicolo:
Packages licenses have been checked and approved.
Einmal scheint die Non-commercial Klausel sehr schwach.
Zum Zweiten hatten wir 1998 den damaligen Upstream Koen Holtman direkt
auf diese Klausel angesprochen und seine Zustimmung eingeholt.

2008-08-15radmanic@xxxxxxxxxx
it's completely outdated, lacks specific features like
ACL support and is unmaintained since 2003,
we should drop this package!

2009-05-20mt@xxxxxxxxxx Changed status to dropped
Approved by:ro@xxxxxxxxxx

D.h. wir hatten schlicht niemand mehr, der es maintained.
hmm, und es ist halt seit 2003 auch upstream nicht mehr maintained.

I attached a patch that patches afio out of bin/alldump in Invis,
that seems the only place where its used. afio has the advantage
over other programs to compress before archiving, I simulated that by
first bzip2'ing all dumps and archive them via tar later.

Is that acceptable?

afio is a very good tool an i wish it back, but i test your patch.
of course you can get it back, but if we take it to the invis project it
means that we as a team have to maintain it for Factory.

I think we have work enough and should reduce the needed packages where
possible. And in this case we have good replacements that are maintained
anyway in Factory.

regards,

Klaas