Re: [opensuse-goblin] Merging Moblin / Factory ... the plan.
  • From: Michael Meeks <michael.meeks@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 17 Feb 2010 12:36:15 +0000
Hi AJ,

On Wed, 2010-02-17 at 13:20 +0100, Andreas Jaeger wrote:
* Where will Moblin UI packages get developed for openSUSE:Factory
(what is the devel project) ?

Well; I guess inside the respective devel projects: In the absence of
anywhere better I was planning to use GNOME:Apps and GNOME:Factory for
the more gnome-ish new modules.

We could of course use 'Moblin:UI' - or something; for the really new,
clutter+stuff ones; perhaps a good plan.

* What purpose will Moblin:Factory have?

Well - we need to provide stable Moblin releases on the up-stream
timeline, not that of openSUSE. So Moblin:Factory would be a place (I
suggest) where the latest actually working version should live; and
where we develop and test that stuff.

But of course, that is just a stab in the dark; if you have a better
design, that fits in better with openSUSE stuff - lets go for it. Bear
in mind - that I have an almost total lack of experience of structuring
this sort of parallel scheduled development, and/or deep understanding
of the build-service and/or how -best- to avoid its many limitations.
Indeed, that has been a substantial blocking factor in making any
progress here. Thus your input now is much appreciated, and hopefully
can help avoid problems in future.

A focus (of whatever scheme) needs to be on ensuring that we have
somewhere, that is not a wild-west of unstable versions, with
uncontrolled updates; since we need to be able to have stable releases
not based on the openSUSE time-line.

I am also somewhat concerned that for a given change to Moblin:Factory
(eg.) for a product, we would end up doing a submitrequest potentially
to GNOME:Factory, GNOME:STABLE, Moblin:Factory, and potentially several
repositories in ibs. This seems like a recipe for a horribly inefficient
work-flow.

That of course, could (perhaps) be avoided with un-versioned links; but
this then makes tagging, snapshotting, or ever being able to reproduce a
given build virtually impossible.

Anyhow, better ideas much appreciated.

Regards,

Michael.