Re: [opensuse-goblin] Windows 7 boot on an HP mini
  • From: Jean Cayron <jean.cayron@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 26 Jan 2010 21:07:31 +0100
Hie,

2010/1/26 Federico Mena Quintero <federico@xxxxxxxxxx>:
On Tue, 2010-01-26 at 10:59 +0000, Michael Meeks wrote:

      Thanks :-) not as blindingly fast as I was worried about.

There are some tricks that they pull to make the whole process *seem*
faster.  MacOS does the same:

* You never get prompted like with Grub; after the BIOS's POST screen
disappears, you *think* that the "starting windows" progress bar appears
instantaneously, when in reality it's probably giving you about a second
to hit the magic hotkey for an interactive boot.

They do exactly the same with the Linpus Lite preinstalled on Acer
Aspire One. You can't see any grub sreen. Just an Acer bootsplash
right away after bios.
Linpus is based on Fedora.

Jean Cayron

* No flicker when switching from the boot screen to the login screen ---
we of course can do this now with KMS and all that.

* Whenever a video switch would occur, they first fade the screen to
black, *then* do the video switch, then fade the screen back to normal.
You only see a smooth transition instead of an abrupt jump.

* After you enter your login password, the login manager fades to black,
then the desktop gets loaded, then it fades back to normal.  You see
your desktop icons and the Start bar immediately, from the beginning,
without any "halfway-loaded" stage.  We could totally do this with some
help of gnome-session.

The summary is that they try to minimize abrupt transitions, by using
fading and other visual tricks, and the end result is that you feel
everything to be smooth and fast.

 Federico