Re: [opensuse-goblin] Goblin on PentiumM
  • From: Michael Meeks <michael.meeks@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 09 Sep 2009 12:59:59 +0000
Hi Allen,

On Wed, 2009-09-09 at 15:04 +1000, Allen Benter wrote:
I am new on the list, but hope I can help in some way along the journey.

Welcome; great to have you around :-)

I have an Asus R2Hv which has a PentiumM processor - it does not have
SSE3 support (only SSE2). Can I install one of the images for the
eee701 and then add the Moblin repositories?

So - that sounds fine; last I checked we don't turn on any of the SSE3
optimisations during compile time, so (in contrast to the Intel builds)
- you should be fine.

That opens the question as to whether we should in fact turn them
on ;-) quite possibly we should - particularly for glibc's memory copy /
movement logic I guess.

Also, which Xorg is being used? I tried this machine with the standard
11.1, but Xorg fails on the intel driver. It seems a fix has been made
upstream, but isn't available in Xorg 7.4. The R2Hv has an Intel Mobile
915GM/GMS/910GML graphics controller with a 7" 800x480 display.

If you can, you might want to try adding the Moblin:Factory repo, and
doing a zypper dup - that should give you the latest Xorg that we use
[ and latest kernel too with luck ].

Is there a live image I can try before installing?

Thus far, no - Andrew was working on one I believe - it's mostly a
matter of twiddling the kiwi file in a sensible way, and then waiting
for the re-build.

If you wanted to look at that, it'd be most welcome - in the
Moblin:Images/Image-opensuse repo there is the kiwi file - that needs
tweaking [ are you on #opensuse-moblin on freenode ? ].

HTH,

Michael.

--
michael.meeks@xxxxxxxxxx <><, Pseudo Engineer, itinerant idiot