Re: [opensuse-goblin] Moblin, Goblin & openSUSE
  • From: Michael Meeks <michael.meeks@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 14 Aug 2009 16:24:27 +0000

On Fri, 2009-08-14 at 02:36 +0200, Vincent Untz wrote:
FWIW, I plan to clean up the packages so they can be pushed to oS:F,
however there are various issues:

Great :-)

+ the development in Moblin:Factory doesn't follow the openSUSE
development cycle. So how should the packages be handled? I doubt we
can use M:F as a devel project for oS:F, at least for now :/ Would
some "forking" be a good thing?

A mini fork seems to be the only real option as of now.

+ we need a plan to know what we should release. I have no idea what
the Moblin schedule is, but if we think 11.2, we're basically frozen
for upstream versions now. Is it reasonable to release 11.2 with a
Moblin version that is basically what we have today + bugfixes?

Yes;

Indeed - I'm somewhat dismayed by all this talk of 11.3 - I was under
the impression that the openSUSE team were committed to getting this
into 11.2 - we have a great opportunity to leverage our leadership here,
and be first to market; it would be really sad to ceede that to Ubuntu.

Of course, whether it is a top-level desktop selection, and/or whether
it carries a heavy 'Experimental' tag, is up to us :-)

Of course, for our next release, I imagine we'll be based on the 11.2
packages, and hopefully we'll come increasingly into sync there package
wise (if not time-line wise).

HTH,

Michael.

--