Re: [opensuse-gnome] I am confused...... FOLLOW_UP
On 22/06/11 20:34, Adam Tauno Williams wrote:
On Wed, 2011-06-22 at 19:59 +1000, Basil Chupin wrote:
On 16/06/11 22:42, Vincent Untz wrote:
Le jeudi 16 juin 2011, à 22:30 +1000, Basil Chupin a écrit :
You ask:
Did you do the complete procedure as described @
<> ?
And simply looking for "opensuse gnome 3.0" on a search engine directly
links to this page :-)
What else could we do to advertize it more?
The page that needs to be advertised more is
<> That page is *hard* to

My god! Where did this come from?! You betcha that it is hard to find - didn't even know it existed until you mentioned it just now! (What a weird way to get people to learn how to use a new DE :-( .)

Today I tried for the third time to install Gnome 3 using the 1-Click
Install (Preferred) option on that page you mention above. And for the
third time this 1-Click thingie failed - ie, it did nothing: a file (to
run the metadata something) got downloaded somewhere to my HDD but after
that nothing happened, zilch, zero :-( .
It downloaded a ymp file [I assume] which is saved where ever your
browser has been configured, by you, to save files. For whatever reason
you browser does not associate ymp files with Yast. Are you using

I am using Firefox, and have been since it first appeared.

OK, how do I get FF to recognise ymp files and associated them with Yast?

or the disease that is Chrome [where it can be assumed file
associations won't work worth a crap].

And for the 3rd time I had to install gnome 3 using the command line
Personally, I consider this the preferred approach.

(BTW, in all cases I did a clean install of 11.4 with the gnome DE,
updated this in the normal way (Yast Online Update) after which I went
to the above URL to install gnome 3. And I am using the 32-bit version,
which may make a difference although I don't see why it should.)
And I take it from this that there is a problem?

No, no problems really - except that I cannot find were to set the default applications like browser and e-mail client; or get rid of the shadow around the drop-down menus.

I've installed
numerous times, using the zypper method, and the only problem I've seen
[and still see] is that the network manager is not available in the

You win some and you lose some :-D . The network manager is displayed here :-) .

The Annual General Meeting of Psychics has been cancelled due to unforseen
The Organising Committee