Re: [opensuse-gnome] I am confused...... FOLLOW_UP
On 22/06/11 20:34, Adam Tauno Williams wrote:
On Wed, 2011-06-22 at 19:59 +1000, Basil Chupin wrote:
On 16/06/11 22:42, Vincent Untz wrote:
Le jeudi 16 juin 2011, à 22:30 +1000, Basil Chupin a écrit :
You ask:
Did you do the complete procedure as described @
<http://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:GNOME_3.0> ?
And simply looking for "opensuse gnome 3.0" on a search engine directly
links to this page :-)
What else could we do to advertize it more?
The page that needs to be advertised more is
<http://live.gnome.org/GnomeShell/CheatSheet> That page is *hard* to
find.

My god! Where did this come from?! You betcha that it is hard to find - didn't even know it existed until you mentioned it just now! (What a weird way to get people to learn how to use a new DE :-( .)

Today I tried for the third time to install Gnome 3 using the 1-Click
Install (Preferred) option on that page you mention above. And for the
third time this 1-Click thingie failed - ie, it did nothing: a file (to
run the metadata something) got downloaded somewhere to my HDD but after
that nothing happened, zilch, zero :-( .
It downloaded a ymp file [I assume] which is saved where ever your
browser has been configured, by you, to save files. For whatever reason
you browser does not associate ymp files with Yast. Are you using
Firefox

I am using Firefox, and have been since it first appeared.

OK, how do I get FF to recognise ymp files and associated them with Yast?

or the disease that is Chrome [where it can be assumed file
associations won't work worth a crap].

And for the 3rd time I had to install gnome 3 using the command line
approach.
Personally, I consider this the preferred approach.

(BTW, in all cases I did a clean install of 11.4 with the gnome DE,
updated this in the normal way (Yast Online Update) after which I went
to the above URL to install gnome 3. And I am using the 32-bit version,
which may make a difference although I don't see why it should.)
And I take it from this that there is a problem?

No, no problems really - except that I cannot find were to set the default applications like browser and e-mail client; or get rid of the shadow around the drop-down menus.

I've installed
numerous times, using the zypper method, and the only problem I've seen
[and still see] is that the network manager is not available in the
panel.

You win some and you lose some :-D . The network manager is displayed here :-) .

BC

--
The Annual General Meeting of Psychics has been cancelled due to unforseen
circumstances.