[opensuse-gnome] Yet another question...
  • From: Nelson Marques <nmo.marques@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2011 04:20:36 +0000
Dear all,

I've been toying with SUSE Studio and reached nice accomplishments
with the ayatana indicators from ubuntu.

I'm considering making a openSUSE spin out of it featuring maybe some
software we can't distribute in openSUSE, some examples:

* sub-pixel font rendering (using the work of another contributor, if
this goes forward, I'll ask him to join the efforts);
* ayatana indicators;
* Fan artwork:
+ Faenza icon theme (as it supports the indicators features, and 0.9
is pretty nice an integrates well);
+ Custom wallpaper pack;
+ Customized GTK+/Metacity themes (a revamped version of clearlooks,
so it's a bit mac looking blueish);
* Pre configured repositories:
+ repos for the software above;
+ packman-essentials (so people can install the missing codecs);
* Focused on end user stuff/artistic stuff (gimp/inkscape)

Of course a LiveCD can't hold everyting, and some sacrifices are going
to be done...

The main purpose for this 'project' is to give take the fight to other
distro's spin's such as Mint, Fusion, Fuduntu, but going a step
further and demonstrating the supremacy of openSUSE Build Service and
damaged brains (like mine).

I'm consulting GNOME team because your opinion is important as I
believe such project could improve the visibility of GNOME. This is
not for a battle to win end users, instead to demonstrate a few cool
things you can do with openSUSE. I haven't also run this through legal
(which needs to be done). Would this be of GNOME team interest? As
always any ideas will be taken into consideration (most likely
applied).

NM

--
Nelson Marques

/* As cicatrizes lembram-nos de onde estivemos, mas não ditam para onde vamos */