[opensuse-gnome] Abandoning Unity for some time...
  • From: Nelson Marques <nmo.marques@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2011 18:02:37 +0000
Dear all,

Regarding Unity, I haven't reached actually satisfactory results from
most of the git snapshots I've made from Compiz. I haven't managed to
even launch it one single time (currently breaks because of missing
keys in gconf), and the only thing I'm getting from it is actually
frustration. I recon now this task requires far more than I can offer,
so I'm leaving it behind until it reaches a more mature state,
hopefully with an official release of Compiz and more documentation
from Compiz/Unity.

If anyone wants to take it, go for it, I'm not deleting any packages
and will continue updating them. If no one looks into it, I'll wait
until there's an official release from Compiz from the development
branch required for Unity and pick it up from there, hopefully by
then, things will be more mature. Right now, all I'm getting out of
this is frustration, and this is neither good for me or openSUSE, it's
supposed to be fun... Either way I have many reservations regarding if
a non-tech oriented person like me will ever be able to pull this one
out, I have this tiny feeling it's too much sand for my truck.

NM

--
nelson marques
nmo.marques@xxxxxxxxx