Re: [opensuse-gnome] GNOME 3.x Consistency [Was: Default 11.4 background and theming]
  • From: Nelson Marques <nmo.marques@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2010 18:51:13 +0000
On Tue, Dec 21, 2010 at 6:18 PM, Adam Tauno Williams
<awilliam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Tue, 2010-12-21 at 17:30 +0000, Nelson Marques wrote:
On Tue, Dec 21, 2010 at 10:35 AM, Vincent Untz <vuntz@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
 - some people mentioned that upstream GNOME will ask distributions to
   use the upstream GNOME 3 theme, including the background for GNOME 3
   (so not for 11.4, but 11.4+1). For reference, this is

http://git.gnome.org/browse/gnome-themes-standard/plain/themes/Adwaita/backgrounds/stripes.jpg
Yes I find this to be consistent and in fact we should actually
support upstream GNOME. My only regard on this is when you see a
screenshot of a default desktop we often by the wallpaper can identify
the distribution, but proving a full GNOME upstream GNOME, we are
loosing some visibility as a distro. This isn't actually much of a
problem, and if gnome-shell and GNOME can benefit for it,

Couldn't distributions just agree to take the 'default' wallpaper and
watermark it with their logo [the lizard]?

For some background:
http://ostatic.com/blog/red-hat-dictates-fedora-15-wallpaper

I think the main point is related to the fact that GNOME Project has
made a request to distributions to support the launch of GNOME Shell.
While there are some distributions that I doubt they will follow this,
the most known ones will most likely follow Fedora and do it.

Deviating from their request might also be dangerous for us, specially
when Novell is the 2nd contributor of GNOME, and if Novell's Community
Project (openSUSE?) deviates from it might pass the wrong message.
Between consistency and the message issue, I think that breaking
consistency is probably less harmful for us.

As for your suggestion, it should've been contemplated by the very
start by GNOME upstream. I don't think it's nice to ask people to
remove downstreamer visibility which is a bit 'anti-natura' given the
fact that distributions have a very splitted user base across
desktops, which is even worst in the case of openSUSE where KDE is
very strong. Your suggestion does provide a more reasonable asset to
work, so I would go +1 as long as it doesn't provide any real impact
with our relations to upstream GNOME.

(PS: I don't like the fact that many will think we're following
Fedora, Fedora's role is understandable since according to some stats
I've seen 91% of the lines of code on gnome-shell have came from Red
Hat, so their support to gnome-shell is understandable. I wouldn't
like to see us as a 'follower' of Red Hat trends. Nevertheless it's
maybe a necessary risk for a greater goal, the sucess of gnome-shell,
in which we should also place all the available resources and efforts
as a GNOME downstreamer.).

NM

nelson marques
nmo.marques@xxxxxxxxx