Re: [opensuse-gnome] Default 11.4 background and theming
  • From: Nelson Marques <nmo.marques@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2010 17:30:47 +0000
On Tue, Dec 21, 2010 at 10:35 AM, Vincent Untz <vuntz@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi,

During the IRC meeting last week, there was some long discussion about
the default 11.4 theming, especially for the background.

Let me try to summarize what was said:

 - the proposed background is similar to what you can see at
   http://karl-tux-stadt.de/ktuxs/?p=2677 (but with a different shade
   of green).

 - as a distribution, having a consistent look and feel is rather
   important: we do want to have the boot splash and the desktop
   background form a consistent set.

+1

 - some people thought that the currently proposed background is too
   close to KDE: it's based on a background that got included in KDE SC
   4.5, and that exists in distribution-branded versions (like the
   openSUSE one). See the posts starting in August at
   http://ivan.fomentgroup.org/blog/

I hold no problems with the wallpaper being close to KDE (either
openSUSE or KDE upstream). I face this in a openSUSE perspective in
which I don't mind who contributes for the wallpaper. My only regard
about the background is that personally I would love to have a more
'alive' thing with a bit more of color, but we can't please everyone.
So it's not really important. As long as we can identify our users
with the wallpaper and they like it, it's all good.

 - some people mentioned that upstream GNOME will ask distributions to
   use the upstream GNOME 3 theme, including the background for GNOME 3
   (so not for 11.4, but 11.4+1). For reference, this is

http://git.gnome.org/browse/gnome-themes-standard/plain/themes/Adwaita/backgrounds/stripes.jpg

Yes I find this to be consistent and in fact we should actually
support upstream GNOME. My only regard on this is when you see a
screenshot of a default desktop we often by the wallpaper can identify
the distribution, but proving a full GNOME upstream GNOME, we are
loosing some visibility as a distro. This isn't actually much of a
problem, and if gnome-shell and GNOME can benefit for it, we can and
actually should support their claim. Though with 2 grains of salt I
wouldn't mind having also providing a package with Sonar for GNOME
shell and the the usual openSUSE artwork (despite of not being on the
default desktop). I would risk Sonar for gnome-shell because Sonar has
a very strong user base which is loyal. We shouldn't ditch without
some discussion.

+1 for full GNOME branding (as long as we deliever our stuff as well
as 'optional') for a greater GNOME3 good.

 - some people mentioned that it's important to have an
   openSUSE-branded background for marketing.

I think that covers most opinions that were raised. I'm explicitly not
telling who said what, because I'll likely misquote people ;-)

In the end, we didn't reach a conclusion. I'd like to hear what people
think about the whole topic, so we can come with a decision from the
whole team.

Thanks,

nelson marques
nmo.marques@xxxxxxxxx