[opensuse-gnome] Default 11.4 background and theming
  • From: Vincent Untz <vuntz@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2010 11:35:53 +0100
Hi,

During the IRC meeting last week, there was some long discussion about
the default 11.4 theming, especially for the background.

Let me try to summarize what was said:

- the proposed background is similar to what you can see at
http://karl-tux-stadt.de/ktuxs/?p=2677 (but with a different shade
of green).

- as a distribution, having a consistent look and feel is rather
important: we do want to have the boot splash and the desktop
background form a consistent set.

- some people thought that the currently proposed background is too
close to KDE: it's based on a background that got included in KDE SC
4.5, and that exists in distribution-branded versions (like the
openSUSE one). See the posts starting in August at
http://ivan.fomentgroup.org/blog/

- some people mentioned that upstream GNOME will ask distributions to
use the upstream GNOME 3 theme, including the background for GNOME 3
(so not for 11.4, but 11.4+1). For reference, this is

http://git.gnome.org/browse/gnome-themes-standard/plain/themes/Adwaita/backgrounds/stripes.jpg

- some people mentioned that it's important to have an
openSUSE-branded background for marketing.

I think that covers most opinions that were raised. I'm explicitly not
telling who said what, because I'll likely misquote people ;-)

In the end, we didn't reach a conclusion. I'd like to hear what people
think about the whole topic, so we can come with a decision from the
whole team.

Thanks,

Les gens heureux ne sont pas press├ęs.