Re: [opensuse-gnome] Evaluating GNOME related features
  • From: Paul Cutler <pcutler@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 06 Dec 2010 09:52:05 -0600
On Fri, 2010-12-03 at 00:03 +0000, Nelson Marques wrote:

At least between GNOME and openSUSE I would risk to say it would be an
awesome experience (marketing wise) to work together on this.

the community that people who prefer GNOME are switching to Debian
and
Fedora - how do we capitalize on that?

This I don't understand... could you elaborate? Who is swapping to
Fedora and why? our users? or Ubuntu users... This is very interesting
Paul, please provide more info, because if that is the case (even if
it's a rumor), it's also an opportunity for us and we can benefit from
it directly and indirectly.

Nelson

I would say, at this time, a small number of Ubuntu users (mostly GNOME
developers) are switching away from Ubuntu to Debian or Fedora as they
disagree with some of Ubuntu's direction, like Unity.

One example is Christian Hergert, developer of PerfKit, who after the
Boston Summit tweeted:
http://twitter.com/#!/vwduder/status/1697293258457088

(And has since switched to Fedora).

There is some rumbling in the community of others as well. In my
opinion, these are early adopters and more GNOME-centric developers, but
it may be a preview of some user reaction once Ubuntu 11.04 comes out.
I'd be curious to see the openSUSE marketing team work on a plan to help
migrate Ubuntu users to openSUSE and make the transition easier.

Paul