[opensuse-gnome] openSUSE Documentation site
  • From: Paul Cutler <pcutler@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2010 08:39:59 -0500

I'm not where to share feedback about this, but as this is the only
openSUSE mailing list I'm currently subscribed to, I thought i'd start
here. Before I blog about this (if I do), I wanted to say I'm happy to
see the openSUSE community launch a Documentation sub-domain, especially
as someone who enjoys writing user help for upstream. Getting users to
read documentation and user help can be a challenge and efforts like
this are important to encourage users to start in one spot when they
need help.

But I can't communicate enough how disappointed I am in the sub-domain
that has been chosen: http;//rtfm.opensuse.org - RTFM has such a
negative connotation, especially from Linux's early years, that while
this may be funny to an old-timer that has been using Linux for more
than 10 years, to someone who is new and needs help, this is a bad
message to send. Whether they have tried to get help on IRC or a forum
and have been told to go "RTFM" we shouldn't encourage that kind of
behavior by naming a sub-domain "RTFM".

Call it docs.opensuse.org, help.opensuse.org, userhelp.opensuse.org or
anything else. There's no reason to continue an old stereotype or use
an abbreviation in a sub-domain that contains profanity.

If anyone can pass this on to the community members who set this up or
share their contact information I'm more than happy to pass on this
feedback.

Thanks.

Paul