Re: [opensuse-gnome] Removing a few apps from the default install
  • From: "Sankar P" <psankar@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2010 09:51:31 -0600
On 9/22/2010 at 09:07 PM, in message
<1285169828.11929.26.camel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Adam Tauno Williams
<awilliam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Wed, 2010-09-22 at 09:30 -0600, Sankar P wrote:
On 9/22/2010 at 07:41 PM, in message <20100922141103.GY13247@xxxxxxxxx>,
Vincent Untz <vuntz@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
- xchat: we ship empathy with irc support by default.
(I'm not 100% sure on this one)
I personally would recommend to continue installing xchat. I know of a
lot of people who like xchat for its simplicity and have years of IRC
logs, even though there are alternatives like pidgin/empathy.

And if those alternatives actually worked. Pidgin supports HTTP proxy
servers, empathy not at all [or only via GNOME's lextremely lame proxy
server support - why can none of this software auto-detect like
browser's have been able to do since Netscape 4? Sorry, major
irritant.] They also don't support IRC over HTTP, which xchat does and
is widely used. Also, IMO, the interface choice

Instead of every application having to write GUI (and that lacks
usability/translation/etc.) it is a far better approach to have one place to
configure network GNOME wide. IIRC, we had some such ugly app-specific network
configure patch for network configure of Evo and it really wasnt much
appreciated. And then we made a "Use GNOME settings" option to this custom GUI
(or some such). I dont know if it is still in the same state. The point I am
trying to make is, individual apps. trying to guess network is sub-optimal and
they should rely on the base system.

OTOH, If the GNOME wide proxy configuration does not have auto-detection like
browsers, please file a bug (I believe there should one already in
bugzilla.gnome.org)

IRC over http is something I didnt know so far and I believe is enough to
convince our core-team to retain xchat ;-)

user
comment
user
comment

used in empathy is also really bad for multi-party conversations.

user: comment
user: comment

is *far and away* more readable.

I personally have not used anything except xchat. Based on what you say, "ugh,
pidgin is ugly". I wonder why they did so, as pidgin for IM has the sane
"User: Message" format.

Sankar
http://psankar.blogspot.com