Re: [opensuse-gnome] Using SUSE Studio for GNOME Live Images
  • From: "Dominique Leuenberger" <Dominique.Leuenberger@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2010 08:34:44 +0200
On 09/15/2010 at 3:20 AM, Paul Cutler <pcutler@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi openSUSE GNOME team!

I have an interesting challenge (and marketing opportunity) for the
openSUSE GNOME team.

I'm writing the release notes for the upcoming GNOME 2.32 release, and
for GNOME 2.30 we did not have live media (either LiveCDs or images for
use with KVM, etc). In following up on that prior to release, the
maintainer won't have time to try and create images.

Is this something we could use SUSE Studio for? I was lurking in the
openSUSE GNOME meeting this morning in IRC and in talking to Vincent, I
understand we'd first have to get GNOME 2.32 working on 11.3.

We have just over 2 weeks until GNOME 2.30 comes out and I think it
might be cool to see new GNOME branded live images powered by SUSE
Studio. If anyone wants to help out, please let myself or Vincent know.

This sounds like a great opportunity indeed.

As SUSE Studio is based around released openSUSE Versions, indeed, we need to
make sure that GNOME 2.32 will fully build on 11.3 again. This is/was
lately a bit ignored, in the line of fire to get Factory fully updated (and
normally we invest on GNOME:STABLE:* a few moments again after release.

Nevertheless, this is also a great start for a new contributor! Most packages
are there and hardly do need any fixing! It's generally to find out
what dependencies are mossing or what other backports we might need.

So everybody: There is an easy step into the world of contribution. The GNOME
Team will gladly help you here on the list and on #opensuse-gnome on
freenode IRC.

Best regards,
Dominique