Re: [opensuse-gnome] Community Discussion - GNOME Edition
  • From: Adam Tauno Williams <awilliam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2010 13:34:49 -0400
On Wed, 2010-03-24 at 21:34 +0000, Andrew Wafaa wrote:
Aloha oh wondrous GNOME Community,
Some may have noticed my blog posts trying to engage the wider openSUSE
Community in discussion on ways of improving how we, the openSUSE
Community, work and play. The shotgun approach of hitting the whole
Community seems to be going a bit slow, so I thought I would try a
different approach :-)
So basically I'm looking to see what you the GNOME Community feel is
missing, an issue, could be improved etc. Also crucially how do you
think any of the issues can be resolved.

At least for me, as a mere user [and developer using], GNOME on openSUSE
11.2 - things are great. I really don't have any significant
complaints.

As a developer somethings it seems like the GNOME space is crawling
[especially with regard specifically to Gtk, and more specifically
Gtk#], but things work well. It also seems like, device management for
example, there is a solution-of-the-month club: HAL vs. device kit, gpod
vs. podsleuth, etc... but some of that may just be inevitable. Then
there is GNOME 3 shell, which obsoletes toolbar applets and things like
GNOME-Do, and I'm not sure where that is going. But, on the other hand,
things like Zietgeist (sp?) look amazing - I've wanted something like
that since Nat pitched Dashboard [which became Beagle]... and has since
been essentially abandoned. So as a user of, and a developer using, it
would be VERY nice if there were some clarification of the-way-forward.
I know I've pretty much given up reading BLOGs and the like.

As I mentioned in my blog posts, I am looking for a discussion and not a
flame war. I am not in any power to resolve any issue that are present,
but I do feel that we already have the tools at hand to fix most that we
encounter. I will however put my noisy voice to as much use as possible
and try and help out where I can.
I do feel that sometimes we just shrug our shoulders and carry on
regardless, and think "why bother we aren't going to get any help". If
we don't make a sound case for why & how we need help there is no chance
we will. So this is the first step in getting that help - defining what
and how.
Please help me and yourselves work out how best to improve life within
openSUSE. If people would rather not make their concerns etc public,
please feel free to contact me directly. What I do ask is that we
please try and keep things on topic, calm and pleasant.
--
openSUSE w/GNOME <http://www.opensuse.org/en/>
Linux for human beings who need to get work done.