Re: [opensuse-gnome] Thinking about 2.29...
  • From: Rastislav Krupanský <rastislav.krupansky@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 6 Sep 2009 12:21:47 +0200
2009/9/4 Scott Reeves <sreeves@xxxxxxxxxx>:
On 9/4/2009 at 09:14 AM, Vincent Untz <vuntz@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hola,

I was thinking about GNOME 2.29... When we restarted our effort to
backport GNOME to old versions of openSUSE, we said we'd do our best
to backport to as many old versions as possible.

Looking at 2.28, we already have some issues with DeviceKit and
PolicyKit 1.0 on 11.1... I can only imagine things getting more
difficult during 2.29 on 11.1.

So my question is simple: do you think it's worth the effort of working
on GNOME 2.29 on 11.1? Or should we focus on 2.29 on factory and 11.2?

(we can certainly backport some selected packages, like gnome-shell, but
the whole GNOME would be really hard, I think)

Thanks,

Vincent

I personally don't see much value in backporting the latest GNOME to anything
but the latest stable distro release.  Since the first release of 2.29 is
scheduled for Oct 28 there won't be many days that the latest stable release
is not 11.2.  So I don't think it's worth distracting work on other things.

+1
You shouldn´t waste your time with backporting to old releases, but
you should focus on 11.2. People expect that 11.2 will be the best
release ever, because honestly, 11.1 wasn´t one of the best releases.

--
S pozdravom / Best regards,

Rasto