Re: [opensuse-gnome] Bug 436758 & 386359 - Renaming YaST in the menu and Control Center tasks
  • From: "Scott Reeves" <sreeves@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 02 Sep 2009 11:45:29 -0600
On 9/1/2009 at 07:02 AM, Vincent Untz <vuntz@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Thu, Aug 27, 2009 at 9:26 AM, Vincent Untz<vuntz@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
This one is trivial to solve, as long as we come with a list of capplets
to add there. I had planned to do that a bit later in the cycle (since
it's doable when we're frozen for many many things), but help is
welcome. If you can come with a list of tasks, it's just a simple thing
to change in gconf2-branding-openSUSE, iirc.

I don't think we have ever changed this list via branding.

Here's what I have so far:

I would suggest adding "Change Password:gnome-passwd.desktop"
We are adding that to SLED for fate #302560

Change Look and Feel: gnome-appearance-properties.desktop
Set Preferred Applications: default-applications.desktop
Configure Printer: system-config-printer.desktop
Configure Network: nm-connection-editor.desktop
Edit Personal Information: gnome-about-me.desktop
Add User: YaST2/users.desktop

Open Administrator Settings: YaST.desktop
hmm, yeah I guess. Although with YaST now being a top level item in the main
menu system area, do we want this redundancy at this level also?

I'm not really sure about "add user", to be honest: I don't think it
happens that often, and it's pretty clear that it'd be part of "Open
Administrator Settings".

Now, one major issue is that the strings will be in english :/
Scott, do you know how we're supposed to handle the translation of
common tasks in the cc shell? Are we really expecting to have translated
text from gconf?

Currently yes.

If yes, then it doesn't work out well with the way we do gconf branding;
we'd probably need to find another way...

We could just directly patch the schema file in gnome-control-center and then
gnome-patch-translation should take care of it right?