Re: [opensuse-gnome] Switching to empathy as default IM client?
On Wed, 2009-06-17 at 15:21 +0200, Vincent Untz wrote:
Hi,

I'd like to discuss using empathy as the default IM client again :-)
Last time, we didn't make the switch because it was not totally ready.
But lots of work has happened in the meantime and empathy has some cool
new features:

+ VoIP that's working
+ geolocalisation support (not yet in G:F, need to package a few things
first, but will be ready soon)
+ support for adium themes
+ desktop sharing: you'll be able to share your desktop with your
empathy contacts!

Limitations that were blocking this in the past were:

+ file transfer (implemented now)
+ a bit buggy (should work fine now)
+ (?)

I'm not aware of any real downside. Opinions?

I'm against it since i found msn and irc protocols broken. I mostly use
im client for msn and the empathy backend for msn is a lot worse than
pidgin. Another feature missing on empathy is plugins that pidgin as a
lot.
I'm aware that ubuntu[1] as switched but i found that they miss the most
important feature for an IM client, that is working with all the
supported protocols.

Luis

[1] -
http://pinstack.blogspot.com/2009/06/replace-pidgin-with-empathy-in-karmic.html