Re: [opensuse-gnome] Make gnome-main-menu pluginable
  • From: Vincent Untz <vuntz@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 2 May 2009 01:19:30 +0200
Le samedi 02 mai 2009, à 00:05 +0200, Christian Jäger a écrit :
Am Freitag, den 01.05.2009, 23:46 +0200 schrieb Vincent Untz:

Anyway, what do you think will the business-novellanians do about the
GNOME 3 thang? I cannot imagine SLED going that path. Thus I have an
even harder time believing Novell will be a positive force in GNOME 3's
development.

Why?

SLED has a profile as an alternative to Windows that doesn't require
re-learning how to handle a computer. GNOME 3 with gnome-shell as its
primary interface will certainly not feel familiar to ex-Windows-users.
Thus I don't think Novell has an interest in developing it.

A few quick comments:

+ GNOME 3 is more than just GNOME Shell :-) There are many other things
that are happening

+ I know nearly nothing about SLED business, but I can imagine that
some people will want SLED with GNOME Shell because it's good

+ there will most probably a gnome-panel 2.30 that will behave like the
gnome-panel that you have right now, but that will be 3.0-ready for
people who don't like GNOME Shell, or companies who need something
more "usual"

+ I didn't hear anything negative from Novell people about GNOME 3 so
far. Maybe I'm not listening enough, though ;-)

(good timing, btw: I've started working on a gnome-shell package
yesterday)