Re: [opensuse-gnome] To Changelog or to not Changelog
  • From: Vincent Untz <vuntz@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2009 14:46:54 +0100
Le vendredi 30 janvier 2009, à 16:35 +1100, Magnus Boman a écrit :
Vincent,

On Fri, 2009-01-30 at 02:10 +0100, Vincent Untz wrote:
Le vendredi 30 janvier 2009, à 12:02 +1100, Magnus Boman a écrit :
+ I like to be able to see the openSUSE changes and upstream changes in
one place with the rpm changelog

Sure, but is it worth spending 80% on a single package update to have
something like that? I mean, let's face it, not a whole lot of people
ever use the changelog[1] for anything, except when it's asked for in
bug reports to confirm that the proper version is installed.

(agree -- was just pointing one of my use cases)

+ it helps me review requests submitted to G:F. If I see that upstream
dropped libgnomeui, but that the packages still depends on
libgnomeui, I can tell the submitter.

This, I consider, is an upstream problem. If we (read you :-) can
somehow convince upstream to publish Changelog/NEWS in a machine
readable/predictable format, this can caught and an automated warning
can be issued.

Heh. That's, hrm, unlikely to happen :/ At the GNOME level, this sounds
difficult already, so imagine the non-GNOME packages that we maintain
;-)

After thinking a bit about it. I'd be okay (if the openSUSE policy is
fine with that) if we:

+ don't copy all that information there
+ provide an easy way to see what has changed (eg, provide a link to
NEWS or ChangeLog) during the review. Not quite sure how to do that,
though.
+ automatically check that NEWS and ChangeLog are packaged

Also, thinking about it. We might to package all the ChangeLog-2.12
files that are used in some projects.