Re: [opensuse-gnome] To Changelog or to not Changelog
  • From: Magnus Boman <captain.magnus@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2009 16:35:32 +1100
Vincent,

On Fri, 2009-01-30 at 02:10 +0100, Vincent Untz wrote:
Le vendredi 30 janvier 2009, à 12:02 +1100, Magnus Boman a écrit :
Hello,

Currently, when doing package updates, we have some (strange) policy
that we have to put in what changes upstream made (ie, bugfixes, new
features etc).

All this information is already available in the NEWS/ChangeLog file for
most packages.

Since this doesn't seem to be an openSUSE policy [1] I wonder why we
enforce this for GNOME components?

Can you ask on opensuse-packaging if there's a policy (strict or not)
about this?

Will do.

FWIW, I find it annoying to fill this information too, but:

+ I like to be able to see the openSUSE changes and upstream changes in
one place with the rpm changelog

Sure, but is it worth spending 80% on a single package update to have
something like that? I mean, let's face it, not a whole lot of people
ever use the changelog[1] for anything, except when it's asked for in
bug reports to confirm that the proper version is installed.

+ it helps me review requests submitted to G:F. If I see that upstream
dropped libgnomeui, but that the packages still depends on
libgnomeui, I can tell the submitter.

This, I consider, is an upstream problem. If we (read you :-) can
somehow convince upstream to publish Changelog/NEWS in a machine
readable/predictable format, this can caught and an automated warning
can be issued.
I don't disagree that cleaning up the .spec files is nice, but (insert
something that frustrates you here).

We are already slow when it comes to updating to the latest upstream
packages (especially when there are many packages, as with a new GNOME
release) and I would appreciate if we could be quicker to update (which
is one of the wins not having this policy)

Cheers,
Magnus

[1] No, I have not performed a study and no, I don't have proper
numbers.