Re: [Evolution-hackers] [opensuse-gnome] Evolution 2.22 for Factory
  • From: Hans Petter Jansson <hpj@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 20 Sep 2008 00:47:28 -0500
On Sat, 2008-09-20 at 09:49 +0530, Srinivasa Ragavan wrote:
On Fri, 2008-09-19 at 22:14 -0500, Hans Petter Jansson wrote:

That's a question for the Evo team, I guess - it looks like it could be
trivially fixed by moving the folder.db somewhere else, or calling it
folder.index or folder.ibex.index or whatever Evolution traditionally
filters out.

HPJ, the summary can't be named like this, since, its possible that
something like this already exists. .ibex.index has a traditional
meaning and would be more of abusing it in the newer versions.

Wouldn't it be possible to use a different directory, e.g.
"mail/local-index/folders.db"? That would avoid both problems.

To Evolution's credit, my 500MB folder.db binary blob didn't cause it to
crash - it showed up as a bogus local mail folder after about 15 minutes
of disk churn - but it did throw errors whenever it needed to pull data
for vfolders.

But, the old version shouldn't touch the folders.db automatically,
meaning the new summary would be safe, unless the user manually deletes
or adds mails to it.

Right. For me, folders.db showed up as having 7 unread mails in it. The
mbox parser probably found some satisfactory ^From occurrences. It also
made local mail unusable, since it would constantly throw errors and
fail to update vfolders (details are a little bit foggy at the moment,
but I remember being hindered to the point of not being able to read
mail).

Also, it looks like old summary/index files aren't removed - does it
require both the sqlite database and summaries now? It increases disk
space consumption quite a bit.

That is left purposefully. Incase you are a user switching across
versions, probably you would have to recreate summaries every time you
do. But first time, we just migrate and don't care later on. So if you
aren't a user of that category, a rm of it manually should suffice.
[probably some more summaries left on the other accounts]

Ok, if I can just remove the old indexes/summaries, I'm happy :)

Should we ship a patch for older Evolution versions to ignore
folders.db? May be worth for power users of SLEs and RHEs, who might
still use older version & new version.

I still think relocating folders.db is a better option, since it would
work for everyone without necessitating an upgrade.

--
Hans Petter