RE: [opensuse-gnome] RFC: keeping/removing ggreeter
  • From: "Casual J. Programmer" <casualprogrammer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 8 Aug 2008 08:40:10 +0200

Or maybe, we should do a "Tip of the Day" concept of some
sort (which I
also tend to ignore and turn off.) I don't know. :-)

Bryen,

Not sure if it really is necessary to start a major philosophical discussion
on every single bit of an operating system.

The keys to most issues are ease of use and productivity. ( I try to
envision busy people who use their computer as a tool to get something done
)

Information that gets in your way is usually not regarded as helpful, rather
to the contrary.

One thing I like about Windows / Linux is the informative slide show
presented during installation. Why is that ? It makes my wait time less
painful.

So in addition to offering context sensitive help ( by pressing F1, right
click on an item, or simlpy activate a question mark that can be moved over
objects of interest ), which is my best bet ( not talking for others here ),
I would find it clever if _useful_ information was offered during lengthy
operations, like booting :-) , that keep people at the keyboard while not
allowing them to concentrate on other stuff. Much like the video screens in
tube stations, where people watch the most useless crap just because there
is nothing else to do, or, if you like it better, the tons of food eaten in
airplanes for the same reason. ( nobody seems to offer exercises instead )

Have a lot of fun...

Casual