Re: [opensuse-gnome] Go Elsewhere?
  • From: Vincent Untz <vuntz@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 1 Aug 2008 12:45:37 +0200
Le lundi 28 juillet 2008, à 16:51 -0500, Alberto Passalacqua a écrit :
I will sum up the main problems I think contributed to this situation
about DE's in openSUSE:

- GNOME is constantly released in a untested "beta state" in the final
release of openSUSE, with evident bugs (read memory leaks, not working
apps). Patches to these issues are released after long time, leaving the
user with problems. This gives the sensation that the team considers
openSUSE simply as a beta product to experiment with, where the last
idea and the last application can be pushed, while the KDE team doesn't
do that. Examples: yast-gtk, PulseAudio, package-kit, tasque, main-menu
(in 10.3 it was a disaster with the memory leak, and people doesn't
forget so quickly).

I'd love to know what's from 10.3 (or earlier) and what's from 11.0
here.

- GNOME is bloated in openSUSE, causing major performance issues
compared to other distributions (see Fedora).

I'm sorry, but each time you say that, I wonder why. I see no major
performance difference here. And I'm looking at other distros.

- Problems are patched too slowly compared to other DE's. It takes
months or almost a release cycle to have (if ever) the major bugs fixed,
while other distributions do this in about one month. One clear example
are Fedora and Ubuntu: they released with PulseAudio in a clearly worse
state than openSUSE, yet they fixed it quickly. OpenSUSE has some minor
problems and are almost all still there.

I guess it depends -- maybe we're slower for PA, but maybe we're faster
for other things (and I actually think we are in some cases). But point
taken. The new bug triage policy should help with that (since we're
giving sense to priority). What could make sense too is to send some
weekly summary of the urgent things to fix for a stable release so
people can easily know what is needed and help. Would you or anybody
else want to help with that?

Also, one thing which is still surprising for me (keep in mind I'm new
here ;-)) is that it's really hard to get updates out for a stable
release.