Re: [opensuse-gnome] pulse audio applet
  • From: Casual Programmer <casualprogrammer@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 10 May 2008 01:05:04 -0700 (PDT)

It'd probably be easier to discuss this if you could
let us know why you
don't want to use it. I have heard, from exactly one
person, that sound
is stuttering, which in itself is bad and hopefully
will be solved with
the glitch-free branch of PulseAudio[1]. How/When we
can get that in to
11.0 when Lennart (the author) merges it I don't
know.

I obviously missed the part where this issue was
discussed.

My view is as follows: PC's or Workstations are tools
for a certain kind
of User / Customer and not kiddie playthings with
bells and whistles and
all sorts of small pastimes.

When I first came across Linux, I immediately decided
on Gnome Desktop
for exactly that reason.

Regarding the distribution I ran in several circles,
partially caused by
the fact, that some ( among them SuSE thence ) would
simply not install
on my hardware.

After having tried all major distros I decided on
openSuSE ( fallback
Fedora ) for ease of use an managability. That was
10.2 which was fine
with me, except for two issues that were promised to
be fixed in 10.3,
that's how I got a bit deeper involved than I had at
first intended.

I have no objections against offering all sorts of
gimmickry, but it
shouldn't be forced on the average user by default.

You like a boomerang that either kills or comes back
to your hand. The
fancy coloring is for worthless crap sold to tourists.

You probably were discussing all that earlier, alas I
wasn't around
then.

Conclusion K* = Windows 99, Gnome-openSuSe = WindowsXP
Professional.

Depends on who you see as your User / Customer, as
openSuSE is used as
Testbed for SLES I should expect a more professional
view on some issues
( like letting everybody fumble with system resources
)

Casual

Feel free to not like my opinion ;-)