Re: [opensuse-gnome] pulse audio applet
  • From: Christian Jäger <christian.jaeger@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 10 May 2008 00:42:32 +0200
I think the problem is that this innovation costs all (users who feel
performance to be lower or are simply irritated by a new applet) and
benefits few (who really use the possibilities PulseAudio provides).

The first part of the problem is similar to Compiz and its 'bling'; it
cost a lot of performance and made a lot of problems in the beginning.

But what alleviated the 'marketing-problem' with Compiz was that also
almost everybody CRAVED for that bling (wobbly windows, spinning
cube...) once he/she had seen it. For PulseAudio, we don't have
something like this... The functionality it provides for audio might be
similar to what Compiz did for video, but almost no-one will want to use
it in practice. That _is_ a problem when once tries to gather acceptance
among openSUSE's userbase.

Just my to Cents; sorry that it's nothing constructive. :/

Chris