Re: [opensuse-gnome] Yast-gtk package selector status
  • From: Christian Jäger <christian.jaeger@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2008 18:59:26 +0100

Am Mittwoch, den 27.02.2008, 10:01 -0600 schrieb Alberto Passalacqua:
Here it is:

http://en.opensuse.org/YaST/Modules/Software_Management

Mainly lacking features in the gtk edition I can think to:

* No versions shown in the list (you've to click on all single
packages). This was solved in the first proposal.

I don't see that having multiple versions of the same package in the
list is good; it just gets crowded and unmanageable.

* No highlighting of newest/oldest packages (in the qt version:
blue -> a new package is available, red -> the installed package
is newer than what's in repositories). This was solved in the
first proposal, using icons.

Errr... Newest packages are listed in the 'Upgrades' view. Again, I'm
not a fan of having the list stuffed with multiple versions of packages,
graced with colourful icons.

* Highest number of clicks to do one task: 1 click to
select/lock/update a package in Qt, 2 clicks in the gtk version.

I don't think 2 clicks is too much. And if you want to select and
update/lock multiple packages you have to use 2 clicks in both the QT
and the GTK GUI anyway, so the difference is naught.

Moreover, it's quite different from the Qt interface, so it makes hard
to support people for example on IRC, or to write general
tutorials/documentation.

If writing a tutorial is all you worry about, I'd volunteer to write
one. It'd be a heck of a lot easier than writing a how-to for the old
QT-GUI.