Re: [opensuse-gnome] nobody likes the application-browser...
  • From: Bryen <suseROCKS@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 01 Nov 2007 20:08:43 -0500

On Fri, 2007-11-02 at 01:19 +0100, Alberto Passalacqua wrote:
I have to admit that I, too, use the standard GNOME menu. I wouldn't
say that I dislike the application browser. It is just simply too slow
for regular use. I look at the browser more as just that.. a "broswer."
"Hmm... let's see what I have on my new computer." But once you know
what you have, the browser in its current format becomes useless. In
regular use, menus and desktop shortcuts/panel applets will always rule
the day.

It's a conceptual mistake. If you open a menu, you expect to find your
applications there. In the current version of main-menu, you find your
most used apps, which is good, but you need another window to open other
apps, with the result that you switch to the standard menu.

It probably could gain better traction if it had customizations to allow
users to design their own layouts. After all, the idea behind
application-browser was to make it easier for the user. Who knows
better what's easier than the users themselves?

I think the easiest way to make it usable is to remove the browser and
let the "More apps..." button open a sort of standard meny (XP style, to
be clear). A better solution would be to do something like kickoff does
in KDE.

I haven't looked at KDE in ages, so really wouldn't know about
Kickoff. :-)

Just to be clear, my opinions of application-browser were not a
criticism per se. Just that I don't consider it, in its present state,
to be useful tool for a seasoned user. For a first time user, it is an
excellent way to introduce users to all the cool stuff that comes with
Suse. Remember, Novell isn't just in the business of making Linux
better for you and me, but also for selling the solution to new users.
(Hopefully spurring adoption enmasse.)

Finding a way for GNOME to intelligently transition users from beginners
to seasoned would be interesting, but challenging, I'm sure.

As for the "recent applications" feature, I find it more annoying than
useful. I use anywhere from 5-10 applications a day, so the "recent
applications" feature gets outdated in a matter of minutes. But that's
not really application-browser is it? I thought it was Beagle?

--
---Bryen---