[openFATE 313363] Mad Wifi drivers, repositories requested to be included on DVD, yast
Feature changed by: Amy Swanson (freespiritamy)
Feature #313363, revision 5
Title: Mad Wifi drivers, repositories requested to be included on DVD,
yast

Package Wishlist: Unconfirmed

Requested by: Amy Swanson (freespiritamy)

I think it would be good to include the mad wifi repositories as part
of the yast system on the DVD install that you download from the site.
In addition to the repository being included.. have the mad wifi
drivers be present as part of the start up install program so that in
the event of an atheros card, or other card that uses the madwifi,
being detected, these drivers are automatically installed upon
detection... then no ethernet cable would even be needed.

Use Case:
- I have had a few crashes and every time I need to reinstall my system,
- because of the atheros card I have, the wireless is never detected. So
- I have to find or buy an ethernet cable (something I don't normally use
- AT ALL) for my laptop, google and look for the wiki page that talks
- about the mad wifi repositories (so glad they have one btw) copy the
- URL and paste into my repositories, then start up yast and look for
- everything related to my atheros card with the new repositories
- installed. The madwifi drivers are the only thing that will make my
- wireless work. This process would be so much simpler if it would just
- be included from the start.. even more so if the madwifi drivers are
- detected upon installation.
+ Whenever I need to reinstall my system, because of the atheros card I
+ have, the wireless is never detected. So I have to find or buy an
+ ethernet cable (something I don't normally use AT ALL) for my laptop,
+ google and look for the wiki page that talks about the mad wifi
+ repositories (so glad they have one btw) copy the URL and paste into my
+ repositories, then start up yast and look for everything related to my
+ atheros card with the new repositories installed. The madwifi drivers
+ are the only thing that will make my wireless work. This process would
+ be so much simpler if it would just be included from the start.. even
+ more so if the madwifi drivers are detected upon installation.
I'm sure that if I have this problem there are others that do also.

Business case (Partner benefit):
openSUSE.org: Would be much more efficient especially in this day when
so many of us use laptops and only laptops. Ethernet cables are very
inconvenient to have to use and look for just so you can get your wifi
working... if the drivers are already there then this need is
eliminated and the whole process is much more streamlined and trouble
free, even enjoyable... then it should work out of the box for most
folks.

List Navigation