[openFATE 310263] By default use a functioning version of Java
Feature changed by: Michal Vyskocil (mvyskocil)
Feature #310263, revision 5
Title: By default use a functioning version of Java

Requested by: Andrew Joakimsen (joak0)

The "OpenJDK" version of Java is installed by default in openSUSE. This
version of Java does not enjoy widespread compatibility. I have yet to
find a site that properly works with this Java implemenaton and have
promptly replaced it with a working Jave implemenation -- Sun.

The installation of the working Java plugin should be via the same
mechanism that is employed to install Flash plugin upon the first
update to the system (pullin-flash-player package).

Until the point in time it can be demonstrated that the OpenJDK
implementation can work with >= 95% of Java applets encountered in "the
real world" it should not be included by default in OpenSUSE. I think
it is a way better out-of-box experiance for users to have to install
Java (just like in Windows) vs. appear to have Java but "Java is broken
in openSUSE" I doubt many non-technical users can understand the
difference.

#1: Vadim Krevs (vkrevs) (2010-08-08 16:03:25)
IMHO, the version of Java installed by default should be the
latest  supported by the latest released Eclipse SDK.

#2: Kjetil Kilhavn (kjetil_kilhavn) (2010-08-12 09:41:05)
I agree with Andrew - until OpenJDK works flawlessly with solutions
such as secure login to online banking etc it should be replaced by the
original Java implementation. Online banking - as well as online
gambling and other secure online transactions e.g. with the authorities
to deliver tax papers etc - are killer applications for ordinary users.
For those users, it is important that openSUSE.org works out of the
box.

+ #3: Michal Vyskocil (mvyskocil) (2011-12-14 14:05:19)
+ Andreas, as you know the status around java, can you please drop this
+ feature?