[openFATE 310913] Add YAST module to set up multiseat installations
Feature changed by: Richard Bos (rbos)
Feature #310913, revision 11
Title: Add YAST module to set up multiseat installations

Requested by: Matthias Sch√ľnemann (wodenhof)

Set up a computer with a YAST module to run with multiple graphic
cards, mice and keyboards for multiple users at once. The module would
allow the administration of "working places".
Currently one can reach sessions only on one screen via the function
keys (F7 - F12). I suggest a module which lets the administrator bundle
the devices into "seats", i.e. physically separated working places each
with their own mouse, keyboard and display. Common use of DVD-
reader/burner or card readers could be allowed, USB-sticks could e.g.
get assigned hubs.
Somebody (Chris Tyler) already started here:
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/Multiseat
(https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/Multiseat)
here:
http://www.linuxtoys.org/multiseat/multiseat.html
(http://www.linuxtoys.org/multiseat/multiseat.html)
and here: (http://linuxagora.com/vbforum/showthread.php?p=3710)
http://linuxagora.com/vbforum/showthread.php?p=3710
(http://linuxagora.com/vbforum/showthread.php?p=3710)
To compare the interest this topic generates for other users compare
the views count on this site:
http://linuxagora.com/vbforum/forumdisplay.php?f=25
(http://linuxagora.com/vbforum/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
This is the effort the ubuntu people invest:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/MultiseatX
CPU-power is abundant in modern machines, so one machine has enough for
the easier tasks (browsing, text input etc.) of a whole family. I'd
appreciate an easy set up with this feature.

Business case (Partner benefit):
openSUSE.org: Use of this power in any family's home would be a
powerful demonstration of this OS's qualities. It would save money,
particularly nice for families with tight budgets and in developing
countries.
When multi seat set-ups get more common the feature could be extended
to virtual machines, i.e. one machine per seat. Those could be
connected (via a virtual net / sockets ...) and run future multi-player
games...

#1: Richard Bos (rbos) (2011-01-24 14:20:28)
User benefit: people can easily swap systems as their /home will be the
same on every seat. It's comparable to remote X sessions, but my
experience with remote X-sessions (XDMCP) is that the desktop is a bit
slow, and it is not usable with video and for example photo's presented
in a lightbox. Multiseat will allow this.
I found this https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Xorg_multiseat
(https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Xorg_multiseat) the best article
about multiseat.
The http://www.linuxtoys.org/multiseat/multiseat.html
(http://www.linuxtoys.org/multiseat/multiseat.html) article seems to be
taken from http://linuxgazette.net/124/smith.html
(http://linuxgazette.net/124/smith.html)

#2: Daniel EKFA (danielekfa) (2011-02-15 16:28:47)
This would be the sweetest feature. Setting this up manually is so
tricky, and the all-in-one solutions out there are outdated and pretty
crappy, pardon my French.
Seeing this in SUSE would make me switch to it immediately! As if that
were a selling point, haha ;)

#3: Konstantinos Koudaras (warlordfff) (2011-02-22 22:01:00)
I proposed to look at this idea into GSOC ideas wiki page. We are
looking for mentors so if anyone wants to help, please add your name in
the wiki page (http://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:GSOC_2011_Ideas)

#4: Matthias Sch√ľnemann (wodenhof) (2011-09-16 13:51:47)
Lennart Poettering wrote an article in the freedesktop.org wiki on how
to do multiseat in conjunction with his systemd. He also gives detailed
instructions how to write tools like the one I envisaged in the OP. And
since openSuSE will switch to systemd with the coming 12.1 ...
Read http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/multiseat for
more information.

+ #5: Richard Bos (rbos) (2011-09-19 20:28:22)
+ This article http://lwn.net/Articles/455972/ shows the importance for
+ multi seat deployments. Good native support by the distribution may be
+ a benefit compared to others.