[openFATE 310668] run pulseaudio server with 'flat-volumes=no'
Feature changed by: Roger Luedecke (Shadowolf7)
Feature #310668, revision 3
Title: run pulseaudio server with 'flat-volumes=no'

Requested by: robert spitzenpfeil (robert_spitzenpfeil)

I listen to music while writing... and every single time I change songs
hilariously loud POP is almost killing my ears. This is annoying and painful.
What's also annoying is that with 'flat-volumes = yes' the master
volume is
changed to the loudest individual stream. If a rogue application should
choose
to up the volume, my ears get fried (headphones !)
Personally I think the purpose of having a master volume slider is to
limit the
max volume to avoid this kind of crap, which is totally nullified by
'flat-volumes = yes' !
Proposal: use 'flat-volumes = no' as the default in '/etc/pulse/daemon.
conf'. I
think the user is clever enough to handle the volume sliders himself.
And only
because Vista or W7 fiddles with the master volume in this _sick_ way,
we don't
need that as well.
Reproducible: Always
Steps to Reproduce:
1. play a song
2. increase the volume for the app. using pavucontrol or with the app.
itself
3. master volume is pushed up as well
Expected Results:
The user should be the _only_ one messing with MASTER VOLUME.

Business case (Partner benefit):
openSUSE.org: With 'flat-volumes=yes' it is possible to get permanent
hearing damage if unexpected volume surges are forced into the user's
ears! Again with this feature enabled _any_ application that uses
pulseaudio can set the master volume to 100%. That might be tolerable
with a stereo system with a manual volume knob, but on a laptop +
headphones this is close to a criminal assault.

+ #1: Roger Luedecke (shadowolf7) (2011-09-16 03:33:48)
+ Never had this problem myself, but it is an easy fix and should be
+ included.