[openFATE 312756] Installing openSUSE Distro with YAST from source
Feature changed by: Dean Hilkewich (deanjo13)
Feature #312756, revision 8
Title: Installing openSUSE Distro with YAST from source

openSUSE Distribution: Rejected by Andreas Jaeger (a_jaeger)
reject reason: Testing and bug reporting are challenges, let's tune the
most critical parts instead.

Requested by: Elmar Haag (hans_linux)

I would like to see a installation option in YAST that would allow me
to install update a installed system from source. Maybe using the
following steps: 1.) Do a normal install from the distribution DVD or a
Network install and configure the system as required. 2.) Optionally
download the sources for each library and application, compile with
user specified complier flags, such as CFLAGS="-mtune=native -
march=native -O3", MAKEOPTS="-j5" etc. 3.) Replace the original vanilla
libraries from the distribution DVD and their updates with the complied
applications.

Business case (Partner benefit):
openSUSE.org: The advantage would be a system optimised for the
specific hardware on which it is installed resulting in best possible
performance for application that are compiled with the same compiler
optimisation flags.

#1: Dean Hilkewich (deanjo13) (2011-08-20 18:26:35)
Why not use OBS for that?

#2: Elmar Haag (hans_linux) (2011-08-24 08:55:23) (reply to #1)
I would do it if I would know how to do this using OBS.

#3: Andreas Jaeger (a_jaeger) (2011-08-28 10:22:17)
For those routines, apps and libraries that would benefit performance,
we could add them to the distribution so that it helps all. We do this
already with a e.g. an i686 glibc and glibc that contains library
routines selected based on the cpu. Some other critical libs do the
same. Let's not build for everybody their own distribution - there's
Gentoo for that - since it will make bugreporting and testing harder
(you have to verify that a bug exists not because of the self-built).
Btw. OBS does not have the bandwidth and space so that each openSUSE
user can build a whole distribution.
I suggest that you do a profiling of your system and figure out where
the performance bottlenecks are and then figure out how to solve those
for everybody in a good way.

+ #5: Dean Hilkewich (deanjo13) (2011-09-10 02:12:56) (reply to #3)
+ Andreas, there is no need to do it on the Opensuse Build Service. You
+ can do it on one of Open Build Service appliances and do it locally.
+ The online OBS is too crippled with "license" issues to build the
+ packages that can use those optimization the most.
+ http://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Build_Service_Appliance PS: see what
+ confusion you get when you use the same acro's?

#4: Tim Edwards (tk83) (2011-08-29 23:17:59)
What is the point of this? I mean is there any objective evidence (not
'I installed Gentoo once and it felt really quick') that this kind of
thing improves speed noticeably, especially on x86_64 builds?
I mean sure, if you were building a high-performance compute cluster
for some big company or university you might want to custom-build some
critical components with a lot of optimisations. But for a desktop or
laptop or even a normal server?