[openFATE 311321] Suse Studio Live USB
Feature changed by: Mindaugas Baranauskas (embar-)
Feature #311321, revision 18
Title: Suse Studio Live USB

SUSE Studio: Unconfirmed

Requested by: a a (tremere51)

There is an option called USB raw image in Suse Studio and there should
be another option for Live USB Hybrid image. USB raw image is not a
live system image. It just installs the distro into the usb and
extremely slow. There are some reasons why we should have an option for
Live USB image. 1-Because of raw image is not compressed it takes so
much space than live image.(600MB iso/2800MB raw) 2-Because of raw
image saves your options with persistance, it lags all time but live
image is read-only, it never lags. 3- Because of USB is slower than HDD
and no hardware cache, it is not suitable for installing. It is more
suitable for live image. For example Live image with usb boots 20
seconds, raw usb boots 70 seconds on my computer. 4- Because of Live
image has compressed filesystem with cached datas in memory, programs
respond very fast but in raw image programs respond very slow. 5- With
persistance we are being forced to save options in raw image. What
about the people who dont want to save options? What about the people
who just want to use USB iso as playground? There must be some more
reasons but these are enough to understand importance of Live Usb
Hybrid image and differences with raw image.
Of course it has some disadvantages like using more memory and cpu. But
we should have this option to choose best filesystem for ourselves.

#1: Mustafa Hadi (mustafa1987) (2011-03-03 15:07:43)
I think this is very important because I always install from openSUSE
live images and I want to do this with my own appliances.

#2: Nick Stefanisko (stefanis) (2011-03-29 21:52:58)
Not being able to generate a LiveUSB is a major disappointment. Adding
this feature should be a priority.

#3: Terje Gulbrandsen (tertitten) (2011-05-10 22:55:17)
Please add this feature, it's about time :)

#4: Jos Poortvliet (jospoortvliet) (2011-05-23 22:35:10)
Can't you put the CD iso on the USB stick? Might take a bit fiddling
but this is a poweruser thing imho anyway...

#5: Liad Shani (liad) (2011-06-03 13:11:49) (reply to #4)
Just placing the CD iso on the USB stick doesn't work. The image needs
to be adapted using the isohybrid tool, and the startup script needs to
be adapted to work with vfat disks. I managed to get it working with
the following modified CDDevice function:
http://suse-studio-users.1598176.n2.nabble.com/LiveUSB-tp4128237p5604192.html
However, it requires fiddling with kiwi and building locally. The manual
modifications cannot be uploaded back to Suse Studio.

+ #6: Mindaugas Baranauskas (embar-) (2011-09-04 13:11:34) (reply to #5)
+ This is instruction about LiveUSB .iso creating from SUSE Studio
+ LiveCD/DVD.
+ 1. Download any LiveCD/LiveDVD .iso from http://susegallery.com/
+ (http://susegallery.com/) . 2. Install ISO Master
+ (http://packman.links2linux.org/install/isomaster) . 3. Start isomaster
+ as simple user, open your LiveCD/LiveDVD .iso. 4. From
+ /boot/i386/loader/ or /boot/x86_64/loader/ directory extract isolinux.
+ cfg file, rename it to syslinux.cfg , add again to the same directory
+ in .iso image. isolinux.cfg may be not deleted. 5. From
+ /boot/i386/loader/ or /boot/x86_64/loader/ directory extract initrd
+ file, remove it from .iso image. Copy this initrd to new
+ /tmp/susestudio/ directory. 6. In terminal execute (as root): mkdir
+ /tmp/initrd cd /tmp/initrd su -c "gzip -dc /tmp/susestudio/initrd |
+ cpio -i"
+ 7. In /tmp/initrd/include file replace CDDevice function to this:
+ function CDDevice { # /.../ # changed this function so that it finds
+ config.isoclient on vfat disks, e.g. USB drives # ---- find
+ /lib/modules/*/kernel/fs/nls/nls* -exec insmod {} \; # needed for vfat
+ filesystem find /lib/modules/*/kernel/fs/*fat/*.ko -exec insmod {} \;
+ # needed for vfat filesystem insmod
+ /lib/modules/*/kernel/drivers/usb/storage/usb-storage.ko # needed for
+ USB sleep 5 # fixme; do this in a proper way cddevs=`/usr/sbin/hwinfo
+ --disk | grep sd | grep "Device File:" | cut -f2 -d: | cut -f2 -d " "`
+ # looks for disks instead of CDs echo cddevs $cddevs for i in
+ $cddevs;do i=$i"1" # fixme; looks on the first partition only echo i
+ $i if [ -b $i ];then test -z $cddev && cddev=$i || cddev=$cddev:$i
+ echo cddev $cddev fi done if [ -z $cddev ]; then systemException \
+ "Failed to detect CD drive !" \ "reboot" fi }
+ You can do this in KDE (with kwrite ) by executing as simple user: xdg-
+ su -c "kwrite /tmp/initrd/include"
+ You can do this in GNOME (with gedit ) by executing as simple user:
+ xdg-su -c "gedit /tmp/initrd/include"
+ 8. Create modified initrd (as root): mkdir -p /tmp/LiveUSB find . |
+ cpio -o -H newc | gzip -9 > /tmp/LiveUSB/initrd
+ 9. Copy new initrd ( /tmp/LiveUSB/initrd ) to /boot/i386/loader/ or
+ /boot/x86_64/loader/ directory of iso image with ISO Master . 10. Save
+ as this new .iso image, for example, as /tmp/my_new_LiveUSB.iso made
+ with ISO Master . 11. Install syslinux , because it contains isohybrid
+ : sudo zypper in syslinux
+ 12. Modify new .iso with isohybrid (as simple user): isohybrid
+ /tmp/my_new_LiveUSB.iso
+ Instructions about LiveUSB image writing to USB key is here:
+ http://en.opensuse.org/SDB:Live_USB_stick
(http://en.opensuse.org/SDB:Live_USB_stick)