[openFATE 311143] Humane address book for the cloud
Feature changed by: Cornelius Schumacher (cschum)
Feature #311143, revision 5
Title: Humane address book for the cloud

Hackweek VI: Unconfirmed

Requested by: Cornelius Schumacher (cschum)

Motivation
This project is not about an address book. It's not about listing
contacts in alphabetical order, having fields for titles and middle
names, zip codes, and different types of phone numbers, it's not about
concepts like meta-contacts, contact syncing, IM status notifications,
device capabilities, or about formats, APIs, or other technical
questions.
This project is about making computers support you in dealing with
people in the age of the cloud. It's about providing a humane way to
handle the data you have about the people you are related to, a way
which meets your mental model of people and relationships, and not
something, which is dominated by implementation details and limitations
of underlying technology, be it paper address books, or electronic
versions of them.
This project is also about supporting you in being connected in the
cloud without giving up control about your data. It's about integration
and access on your terms, not the terms of a random service provider.
Goals
The goal of this project is to implement a tool which helps you to
manage your data about people and your relationships with them, based
on a number of principles:
People. This is about people, about what you want to remember about
other people, about your relationship to other people, about
individuals, who have some common history with you. It's not about
contacts, addresses, personal information, it's about people.
Humane interface. The way the tool works should be based on humane
concepts of how to think of and deal with people, and hide the details
and limitations of the implementation. It should support concepts such
as groups, history, physical or logical proximity, visual models, and
fuzzy data.
Ubiquity. You should always have access to your people data, no matter
where you are, what kind of device you use, if or what kind of network
access you have.
Eternity. Information you have about people, your familiy, your
friends, your colleagues, and others, is valuable. It's part of your
history. It should be stored forever, without the danger of losing it,
or forgetting about the past.
Control. You should be in control of your data, who accesses it,
what's visible, where it's stored, what's connected, This is your
personal social network, owned and controlled by nobody else than you.
Connect to the cloud. Lots of personal data is in the cloud. The tool
should be able to connect to it, pull in, what you are interested in,
share what you want to share. This should be done in a decentralized,
distributed way, so you don't need to let others aggregate your data,
but you do it on your own terms. So you can make use of the cloud
matching your own model, which can go beyond the model social networks
use in the cloud.
Technology
There is a wealth of technology available to implement such a tool. But
this shouldn't be the priority. Technology will come together to serve
the higher principles and goals.

#1: Martin Seidler (pistazienfresser) (2011-01-24 19:19:01)
I would like to have something like that especially if it would allow
me to synchronize (sync) the addresses on my Android phone with an
application on my openSUSE linux system (Evolution, Thunderbird)
without giving Google or someone else access to 'my' private or
business related data. Compare:
http://www.google.fr/support/forum/p/Google+Mobile/thread?tid=3bd34a531c5f284c&hl=en

http://forums.opensuse.org/forums/english/other-forums/news-announcements/tech-news/452877-hackweek-vi.html

http://forums.opensuse.org/forums/deutsch-german/hilfe-und-helfen/anwendungen/450337-android-auf-daten-von-adressbuch-und-kalender-unter-linux-zugreifen-abgleich-up-und-download.html
Could/should I tag the feature with Android (compare:
https://features.opensuse.org/query/tag?tag=android), too?
Something like it for timetables/calendars would be fine, too.

#2: Cornelius Schumacher (cschum) (2011-02-10 13:06:18)
I worked on this for Hackweek VI, a blog about it is still pending,
will publish it soon.

+ #3: Cornelius Schumacher (cschum) (2011-07-10 16:32:11) (reply to #2)
+ Done. Read on: "It's not an address book"
+ (http://blog.cornelius-schumacher.de/2011/03/its-not-address-book.html) .