[openFATE 310491] Add dracut to openSUSE
Feature changed by: Per Jessen (pjessen)
Feature #310491, revision 14
Title: Add dracut to openSUSE

openSUSE-11.4: Evaluation by project manager

Requested by: Luis Medinas (lmedinas)
Product Manager: (Novell)
Project Manager: (Novell)
Engineering Manager: (Novell)
Developer: (Novell)

Dracut is suppose to be a replacement for the old initrd tools like
mkinitrd.
From the project description, dracut is an initramfs infrastructure.
Unlike previous initramfs systems, Dracut aims to have as little as
possible hard-coded into the initramfs.
It contains specific configuration files for init drivers and includes
plymouth support. Dracut advantage seems to be a modern replacement to
generate initrd and it's suppose to be easy to use/manage.
See http://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/dracut/wiki for details.

#1: Jan Engelhardt (jengelh) (2010-09-19 17:02:28)
NEGATIVE. openSUSE has replaced its mkinitrd by a new implementation in
11.2 that is equally flexible, if not even better than dracut. It
certainly is easier to jump into how it's supposed to work. With the
dracut as shipped on F-13 I can't really say the same.
If you ever ran `mkinitrd -h` on SUSE... well just try finding the
equivalents in dracut. You don't.

#6: Andreas Jaeger (a_jaeger) (2010-11-03 13:21:48) (reply to #1)
From the discussions at the openSUSE conference, I see interest in
doing this. Let's talk together and decide what's best. IMO working on
a common solution has its benefits - and if there are usability
problems, we should be able to improve dracut.

#7: Luis Medinas (lmedinas) (2010-11-03 14:47:43) (reply to #6)
I worked a few weeks ago on adding *SUSE support on dracut but looks
like Harold finished the job for me. I guess having both on Factory
doesn't hurt and on the release cycle we should decide what fits best
for the job.
Now i think we should clean Harold spec and SR to Factory.

#2: Nelson Marques (ketheriel) (2010-09-27 01:50:15)
If Plymouth will move in, most likely dracut would help since it
supports plymouth and that can do a lot on soften plymouth introduction
to many users.
just a random thought...

#3: Jan Engelhardt (jengelh) (2010-10-03 02:10:18) (reply to #2)
It's not like smkinitrd would not be able to support plymouth.

#4: Rémy Marquis (spyhawk) (2010-11-03 13:10:07)
A similar entry has been opened
here:  https://features.opensuse.org/310784#
(https://features.opensuse.org/310784#)

#5: Andreas Jaeger (a_jaeger) (2010-11-03 13:16:55) (reply to #4)
I did not find this entry, so let me mark 310784 as duplicate now.

#8: Hannes Reinecke (hreinecke) (2010-11-05 08:27:29)
Yes, I do agree, mkinitrd might be easier to use.
And the paragraph about plymouth is just pointless, as I'm not aware
we're using plymouth anywhere in the distro.
However, I (as one of the main authors of mkinitrd) am in favour of
this feature. The main problem with mkinitrd is that we (as in the
openSUSE community) failed to get any public traction here. The number
of external commits to mkinitrd are zero. Whereas dracut has an active
mailinglist and numerous contributors. It might be inferior in some
places, but that doesn't mean we cannot improve it. And the other big
advantage here is that we will be picking up any new features
automatically, without us having to re-implement it in mkinitrd.

#9: Robert Xu (bravoall1552) (2011-03-19 00:36:55)
Since openSUSE 11.4 is already released, shouldn't we aim for openSUSE
11.5 now?

+ #10: Per Jessen (pjessen) (2011-03-19 18:31:34)
+ If the main benefit is what Hannes describes, and assuming that dracut
+ is not or will not be mkinitrd plug-compatible, it seems like
+ significant effort for little gain. (I'm biased, I like mkintrd).