[openFATE 310710] Integrate the functionality of "fusermount -u" into umount
Feature changed by: Reinhard Max (rmax)
Feature #310710, revision 2
Title: Integrate the functionality of "fusermount -u" into umount

+ openSUSE Distribution: Unconfirmed
+ Priority
+ Requester: Desirable

Requested by: Reinhard Max (rmax)
+ Developer: (Novell)
+ Developer: (Novell)

It is confusing that FUSE mount points need a different command to
unmount them than everything else. Historically FUSE had to bring its
own command, because traditional umount refuses umounting of mounts
that are not in /etc/fstab for non-privileged users. But now that FUSE
has become mainstream, I think it is time to integrate it better and
get rid of the need for "fusermount -u". So my proposal is to either
add the implementation of the "fusermount -u" functionality to mount,
or let it execute "fusermount -u" as a subprocess for FUSE mountpoints.
As root can already use umount for FUSE mount points, it probably
doesn't need more than skipping the /etc/fstab test when umount is
called on a FUSE mountpoint that is owned by the calling user.

+ #1: Reinhard Max (rmax) (2011-03-08 11:18:35)
+ Adding the maintainers of the affected packages (fuse and util-linux).